Community Development


Functions and Responsibilities

The Building Division of Community Development oversees building and related construction activities to protect the public health, safety and welfare of our residents and visitors pursuant to the construction codes. Chelan County enforces the International Codes, Washington State Amendments and Washington Administrative Code (WAC), all as adopted in CCC Chapter 3.04. A free online version of the International Codes is available by visiting the ICC website (Here) and hard copy of the code books can be purchased by visiting the ICC Bookstore or WABO Bookstore. Both of these versions of the Code do not include any amendments specific to Washington State. To check Washington State amendments to building codes please visit the Washington State Building Code Council website.

The Building Division is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the following programs and activities: International Building, Residential, Mechanical, Fire and the Uniform Plumbing Codes, Washington State Energy Code; Chelan County Code; FEMA flood protection requirements & Floodplain Development Permits; Accessibility & Washington State Barrier Free Design requirements and other Washington State and Federal laws. Activities include permit application intakes, public assistance on permit process, plan reviews, permit issuance, and inspections during construction.

Commonly requested information:

Information for other common questions:

  • For how to determine snow loads and other design criteria, click HERE
  • Manufactured home building permit submittal information can be found by clicking HERE 
  • (other "land use" information may be required to complete your application)
  • Information about "tiny homes" can be found by clicking HERE
  • Information about "yurts" can be found by clicking HERE
  • 2015 International pool and spa code, with local requirements HERE
  • Definition of unfinished basements and other unfinished areas of a structure HERE

For information about Lead-Arsenate soil contamination remediation pilot project findings, see this presentation.


Fire Prevention and Investigations Department (Fire Marshal)

Fire Prevention and Investigation develops and manages a countywide fire and life safety inspection program in commercial businesses in the unincorporated portions of Chelan County. Coordinates with the Fire Districts and conducts fire investigations in the unincorporated areas of Chelan County, providing comments on proposed development and plan review of new commercial occupancies for Fire Code compliance. Participates in the development and updates of County Wildfire Protection Plans and Wildland Urban Interface codes.  (The department is its own separate county agency but is physically co-located within the Community Development Department's office.)

Documents & Forms


WA State energy code compliance forms & links:

Residential forms:

Commercial forms:

NOTE: You must create an account and login to access the Excel compliance forms.


Floodplain regulations & forms:



All inspections with the Chelan County must be scheduled 24 hours in advance. All requests must be made by 4pm each day of the week. Inspections called in after 4pm on Fridays, or over the weekend will not be scheduled until Tuesday’s inspections.

Inspections can be scheduled as follows:

By phone by calling 509-667-6635 and providing the following information:

  • Permit Number
  • Address
  • Type of Inspection
  • Date to perform the inspection
  • Contact name and phone number in case we need to call you back



Chris Young
Building Official
Phone: (509) 667-6222

Heather Mauseth
Plans Examiner 
Phone: 509-667-6910

Aaron Fahey
Plans Examiner 
Phone: 509-667-6295



Posted: 01/29/2015 09:32 AM
Last Updated: 09/22/2021 01:46 PM

Share This Page...

Community Development Calendar

Upcoming events and schedules at the county!

  • 20
    Oct 2021
    01:00 PM - 03:00 PM

    Hearing Examiner - October 20, 2021

    Posted by: Community Development

    By Zoom Video Conference
  • 03
    Nov 2021
    09:00 AM - 03:00 PM

    Hearing Examiner - November 3, 2021

    Posted by: Community Development

    By Zoom Video Conference
  • 17
    Nov 2021
    01:00 PM - 03:00 PM

    Hearing Examiner - November 17, 2021

    Posted by: Community Development

    By Zoom Video Conference
  • 01
    Dec 2021
    09:00 AM - 03:00 PM

    Hearing Examiner - December 1, 2021

    Posted by: Community Development

    By Zoom Video Conference
  • 15
    Dec 2021
    01:00 PM - 03:00 PM

    Hearing Examiner - December 15, 2021

    Posted by: Community Development

    By Zoom Video Conference