Chelan County District Court
The Chelan County District Court is a Court of Limited Jurisdiction created in 1961 by the Washington State Legislature. The Court hears criminal, civil, infraction, and miscellaneous cases, including cases that would normally be filed in a Municipal Court for the Cities of Wenatchee, Leavenworth, Cashmere and Chelan.
Criminal gross misdemeanor cases carry a maximum penalty of up to 364 days in jail and a $5,000 fine. Criminal misdemeanor cases carry a maximum penalty of up to 90 days in jail and a $1,000 fine. Some examples of criminal cases heard by the Court are:
- The District Court has jurisdiction of civil actions and proceedings in which the value of the claim or the amount at issue does not exceed $100,000, exclusive of interest, costs, and attorney fees. The District Court does not hear cases involving title to or possession of real property; actions for false imprisonment, liable, slander, or malicious prosecution; or actions against an executor or administrator.
The small claims department of the District Court has jurisdiction of cases for the recovery of money only if the amount claimed does not exceed $5,000. Only monetary damages may be awarded. The small claims court cannot order the return of property or other equitable remedies. The claim must be filed by the real claimant, not a person or entity to whom the claim has been assigned.
No attorney or legal para-professional may represent a party in a small claims action without approval of a judge.
- Traffic Violations
- Fish and Wildlife Violations
- Animal Control Violations
- Code Violations
- Anti harassment and Stalking Petitions
- Name Change Petitions
- Vehicle Impound Hearings
Access to Court (Case) Records and Administrative Records
The judicial branch is committed to openness, transparency, and the belief that the public should have access to most court records and administrative public records.
Access to judicial records is governed by court rules and not the Public Records Act (PRA). There are two types of judicial records addressed by court rules:
- "Court (or case) records" - records filed with the court in a judicial proceeding that are usually maintained by the court clerk;
- "Administrative records" - any record pertaining to the management, supervision or administration of the judicial branch.
The Chelan County District Court is located on the fourth floor of the Chelan County Courthouse. The address of the courthouse is 350 Orondo Street in Wenatchee, Washington. It is situated at the west end of Memorial Park at the corner of Orondo and Washington streets, near downtown Wenatchee.
It is accessible by several routes on the Link Bus System.
Because visitor parking is limited at the Courthouse Complex, please be careful to park in appropriately marked parking places. Time restrictions on parking are strictly enforced. The main parking lot is located near Memorial Park between the courthouse and the Public Library on the east side of the courthouse. There is a secondary parking lot located one block west (up the hill) from the courthouse on Orondo. The courthouse is located next to the Law and Justice Center, which also houses the Chelan County Regional Jail.
Posted: 02/03/2015 11:00 AM
Last Updated: 04/24/2019 12:58 PM