District Court

Missed Court Date and Payment

I missed a court date on a criminal case or a criminal traffic case and I may have a warrant out for my arrest. What do I do?

If you missed a court date on a criminal or criminal traffic case and need to quash a warrant or make sure a warrant is not issued, please report to the Court Clerks on the fourth level of the Chelan County Courthouse. Please bring your case number with you.

I missed a court date on an infraction ticket. What do I do?

If you have missed a court date for an infraction mitigation or contested hearing, you must write the Court or personally appear at the counter to request a show cause hearing. Your request must be received by the Court within 30 days from the date of your missed hearing. Requesting a show cause hearing does not stop your driver's license from being suspended by the Washington state Department of Licensing (DOL).

The Department of Licensing has told me my driver's license will be suspended because I missed a court hearing. What do I do?

If DOL has notified you your driver's license will be suspended because you missed a mitigation, contested, or show cause hearing, you may stop the suspension of your license by:

  • Reporting to the District Court counter before the suspension date shown in the DOL suspension letter you received, and
  • Paying or posting the entire penalty plus an additional $52 FTA fee.

You must pay by cash or money order to stop the immediate suspension of your driver's license. If you pay by personal check, the suspension will not be stopped until the check clears your bank. It normally takes up to 14 days for a check to clear a bank.

I received an infraction ticket within the last 15 days, but I am not able to pay or respond within 15 days. What do I do?

If you have received a traffic infraction or non-traffic infraction within the last 15 days and cannot, within 15 days from the date you received the ticket, either pay your penalty in full or respond to the Court requesting a mitigation or contested hearing, and if you have not received a prior extension, you may request and be granted a one-time extension.

I missed the 15-day response period. What do I do?

If you did not respond within the required 15 days from the date you received your ticket, you are not eligible for an extension. After the 15-day period has passed, the Court automatically enters a finding that the infraction was committed and, pursuant to law, adds a $52 fee for failure to respond. If the infraction is a traffic citation, the Court, pursuant to law, issues a document called an FTA (Failure to Appear). The Washington State Department of Licensing (DOL) is notified and DOL begins the process of suspending your driving privilege. DOL will send you a letter advising your license will be suspended unless you take care of your ticket before the suspension date designated in their letter. To stop the suspension of your license, you must report to the Court and pay the full penalty plus the $52 FTA fee.

My case has been sent to a collection agency. What do I do?

If your case has been sent to the collection agency, you must contact Armada, Inc.. They may be reached by telephoning 1 (800) 949-2372 or (509) 884-8000. It is helpful to have your case number (or numbers) available when contacting the collection agency. Once a case is sent to the collection agency, the court will not accept your payment on the fine. You must pay all amounts due directly to Armada. When you have paid your account in full, Armada will notify the Court and the Court will contact DOL to remove your FTA.


Posted: 02/03/2015 01:10 PM
Last Updated: 04/01/2015 02:55 PM

Share This Page...

Chelan County Calendar

Upcoming events and schedules at the county!

  • 08
    Aug 2020
    09:00 AM - 01:00 PM

    August Parenting Class - English Only

    Posted by: Superior Court Clerk

    Supporting Children Through Divorce is a four-hour educational program designed to help parents focus on the needs of their children during and after divorce and separation.

    Washington State University Extension
  • 07
    Aug 2020
    09:30 AM - 11:00 AM

    Public Meeting: Public Canvassing Board Meetings

    Posted by: Chelan County Elections

    The Canvassing Board of Chelan County, pursuant to RCW 29A.60.160, will hold public meetings at the dates and times listed below. The meetings of the Canvassing Board are open, public meetings under the applicable provisions of chapter 42.30 RCW, and each meeting shall be continued until the activity for which the meeting is held has been completed.

    Chelan County Auditor’s Office
  • 07
    Aug 2020
    08:00 AM - 05:00 PM

    Washington State Trappers Association

    Posted by: Chelan County Expo Center

    For information contact them through their webpage

    Chelan County Expo Center
  • 05
    Aug 2020
    09:00 AM - 03:00 PM

    Hearing Examiner - August 5, 2020

    Posted by: Community Development

    Chelan County Administrative Building
  • 04
    Aug 2020
    09:00 AM - 08:00 PM

    Election Day

    Posted by: Chelan County Elections

    Election Day

    Please see Ballot Drop Locations