Solid Waste Management

Household Hazardous Wastes

Household Hazardous Wastes

Disposal of household hazardous waste at the Chelan County Moderate Risk Waste Facility is available to any resident of Chelan County. The facility accepts ONLY residential household hazardous waste; no business waste is accepted unless it is a scheduled small business collection event.

Location: 3612 Highway 97A, Wenatchee

Phone: 509-888-1195

Hours: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Friday & 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. the first Saturday of the month (See 2024 calendar)

The facility is closed on holidays. If a first Saturday falls on a holiday weekend, the facility will be open the following Saturday.

Fee: The facility is free to Chelan County residents. A $10 donation is suggested. (Cash or check only, thank you.)

Remember these guidelines BEFORE you make a trip to the MRWF:

  • Don't mix products.
  • Keep products in original containers when possible. Label products not in original containers.
  • Secure products so they don't tip over or leak.
  • Containers should be nonleaking and of 5 gallons or less in size.
  • Transport similar products upright in cardboard boxes for safe, easy unloading.

When you ARRIVE at the MRWF:

  • Pull forward under the canopy.
  • Have your ID ready, showing you are a Chelan County resident.
  • Stay in your vehicle during unloading.


Accepted Items

aerosol cans (not empty) antifreeze & motor oil/filters automobile batteries
brake fluid butane degreasers
furniture stain gasoline/diesel household cleaners
household batteries hobby chemicals hydrochloric acid
lawn & garden pesticides mercury oil-based & latex paints
paint thinners rechargeable batteries spray paint
pool & spa supplies solvents & sealants lightbulbs/fluorescents (limit 10 per visit)
Used cooking oil Fire extinguishers road flares


Unaccepted Items

ammunition/explosives propane tanks asbestos
tires computers medical waste
contaminated soil needles/syringes electronics
pressurized tanks fireworks marine flares



Frequently Asked Questions

Chelan County households can now drop off latex and oil-based paints at the Chelan County Moderate Risk Waste Facility for safe disposal.

If you plan on dropping off latex or water-based, paint, please follow these guidelines:

Visitors are limited to 50 gallons per visit, and the paint must be in containers no larger than 5 gallons.

The facility will take old cans; however, if the paint is solidified, please remember that you can dispose of the can safely in your household garbage.

The facility accepts latex paint from only Chelan County households. Businesses can continue to take latex paint to a nearby Rodda Paint or Sherwin Williams, or dispose of it at a future small quantity generator event, which are typically held annually in Chelan County and posted to its website.

If usable paint comes in, it will be set aside in the free re-use program. Visitors should check out the re-use shelf to take home any latex paint they can use in their own projects.

Antifreeze: Contaminated antifreeze should be taken to a household hazardous waste facility. Remember: Antifreeze is toxic and must be stored in a closed container at all times.

Gas: Old gas can be taken to a Jiffy Lube for a small cost. Call the business for details. Or dispose of old gas at a household hazardous waste facility.

Oil: Dirty or contaminated oil must be disposed of at a household hazardous waste facility. Uncontaminated oil can be taken to a collection location: 

O’Reilly Auto Parts, 1016 N. Mission Ave. in Wenatchee, no charge/daily limit 5 gallons

Kwik Lube, 610 S. Wenatchee Ave., $1 a gal/daily limit 5 gallons

Dryden Transfer Station, $2 a gal/daily limit 15 gallons

Chelan Transfer Station, $2 a gal

Batteries: Numerous auto battery retailers around the Wenatchee Valley will take your auto batteries for free or for a small charge. 

Tires: The Dryden and Chelan transfer stations take unmounted tires. The Dryden facility limits people to five unmounted tires a day.

For locations of recycling or drop-off centers, go to 1800Recycle. Or call us at 667-6415 for suggestions.

LED, incondescent and halogen bulbs can be disposed of in your residential trash. However, fluorescent bulbs should be taken to the Moderate Risk Waste Facility for safe disposal. The facility accepts 4-foot and 6-foot bulbs and CFL and HID bulbs. Visitors are limited to dropping off 10 bulbs per visit.

All fluorescent lamps, including compact fluorescent bulbs, contain varying amounts of mercury, a toxic pollutant. It’s illegal to dispose of fluorescent lamps in your trash. LightRecycle, a state-funded program, also accepts up to 10 fluorescent bulbs a day at different drop-off locations for no charge. The service is for public use only. There are two other drop-off locations in Chelan County:

Lake Chelan Lighting Center
917 E. Woodin Ave., Chelan, 687-6101

Stan’s Merry Mart
733 S. Wenatchee Ave., Wenatchee, 662-5858

The Chelan County Moderate Risk Waste Facility is unable to take commercial waste at this time. A private disposal service specializing in such materials can help you dispose of your hazardous wastes for a fee. An application and contact information is available online.

Posted: 06/04/2019 04:04 PM
Last Updated: 05/29/2024 08:48 AM

Chelan County Calendar

Upcoming events and schedules at the county!

  • 19
    Jul 2024
    08:00 AM - 05:00 PM

    Ballots will be mailed to voters

    Posted by: Chelan County Elections

    Ballots will be mailed to voters

  • 19
    Jul 2024
    01:00 PM - 02:00 PM

    Hearing Examiner - July 17, 2024

    Posted by: Community Development

    400 Douglas Street or via Zoom
  • 10
    Jul 2024
    10:00 AM - 12:00 PM

    Chelan County Civil Service Commission

    Posted by: Human Resources

    The Chelan County Civil Service Commission will be meeting on July 10, 2024.

    Chelan County Commissioners Office, Conference Room 1
  • 03
    Jul 2024
    09:00 AM - 10:00 AM

    Hearing Examiner - July 03, 2024

    Posted by: Community Development

    By Zoom Video Conference or in person call 667-6225
  • 26
    Jun 2024
    06:30 PM - 09:00 PM

    Planning Commission - June 26,2024

    Posted by: Community Development

    400 Douglas Street