Corrections Facility Nurse/Licensed Practical Nurse
County of Chelan Regional Justice Center 401 Washington Street Wenatchee, WA 98801
Salary: $3,556.78-$ 5,204.36 DOE Longevity Steps $4,323.67 – $6,325.94
This position is responsible for administering medications to inmates, triaging inmates and their medical intake documentation upon booking, assessing all medical complaints and emergency situations that occur, and following measures to protect the County as well as the rights of inmates while incarcerated through proper procedure and documentation of a constitutionally-defendable process. This position has both exempt and non-exempt positions.
- Correctional nursing care.
- Inmate constitutional rights/protections.
- Human behavior with particular emphasis on criminally-oriented or deviant behavior.
- Psychological, social and economics of deviant/criminal behavior.
- Psychological counseling techniques, attitudes and behavior.
- Eliciting medical information of sensitive nature.
- Effective Communication, both orally and in writing.
- Basic typing/keyboard skills
- Interpersonal relationships with both staff and inmates
- Interpreting client information and developing appropriate treatment plans based on evaluation.
- First Aid principles and application
- Act without direct supervision and exercise independent judgment.
- Cope with situations firmly, courteously and tactfully, with respect for the rights of others.
- Proficiently operate required facility and medical equipment.
- Relate positively with other employees and inmates, and to resolve conflicts when they arise.
- Perform duties under stress.
- Work in a confined area for long periods of time.
- Accurately hear and respond to radio transmissions, alarms, etc.
- Possess a current license as a Registered Nurse OR Licensed Practical Nurse.
- Ability to read and write the English language.
- Possess a current Washington State Driver’s License.
- Must have basic typing/keyboard skills.
- United States Citizen, not less than 21 years of age.
- Must have NO felony convictions.
- Must be able to successfully pass a background investigation, additional interviews, medical physical, drug testing and polygraph examination.
- Must meet minimum medical and health standards adopted by the Chelan County Regional Justice Center.
While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to work in a detention/correctional setting and use standard office and communication equipment and is occasionally required to drive a motor vehicle. The employee is exposed to hazardous situations which involve physically violent persons, mentally or emotionally disturbed persons, persons with infectious diseases, highly stressful situations, is sometimes exposed to outdoor weather conditions, extreme heat or cold, toxic or caustic chemicals, and is frequently required to work evenings, weekends or holiday shifts. Once hired for this position, the employee must meet all required certifications and maintain all other standards for the performance of their job duties.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Administering medications to inmates
- Triaging inmates and their medical intake documentation upon booking.
- Assessing all medical complaints and emergency situations that occur.
- Perform other duties as required
This position reports directly to the Nurse Manager/Medical Director. Work is performed according to departmental regulations and procedures prescribed by the supervisor. Assignments, general and special instructions are received from superiors who review work by personal inspection, checking of reports, and general appraisal of the effectiveness of the employee and adherence to established policies.