It is not necessary to obtain your license in the same county the ceremony will be performed in. A license obtained in any Washington county is valid anywhere in the state.
Attention! – fee is payable by cash or check only.
Step #1 - Submit your marriage data online. There are workstations available in our lobby if you haven't performed this step prior to arrival. Don't worry if you should happen to forget the confirmation number - we can still retrieve your data. Applicants applying via mail will need to us once their data has been submitted.
Your 3 day waiting period doesn't begin until fees are paid and license is created in Step #2.
Step #2 - Both applicants visit our office and take their place in line. Upon your arrival we will retrieve your data, collect the fee, and proceed to create your marriage license paperwork. For those submitting an absentee application, this step occurs once we receive your completed application and fee.
- Fee: $49.00 is payable at the time of application by cash or check, and is non refundable. If prepaying for a certified copy of the marriage certificate, add $3.00 for a total of $52.00;
- Age Requirements : Both applicants must be at least 18 years of age or older;
If 17 years of age the applicant must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who will sign a consent form. This parent must present photo ID;
If 16 or younger permission must be obtained from the Juvenile Court prior to licensing.
- Waiting Period: There is a mandatory 3-day (calendar day) waiting period before the license becomes valid. No exceptions can be made.
- Period Valid: Your ceremony must be performed in any Washington county within 60 days of application.
- Hours: Licenses are issued by the Recording Department Monday - Friday from 9-5 pm on the street level of the Chelan County Courthouse. The application process takes about 20 minutes.
- Identification: Government-issued photo ID containing birth date must be presented at the time of application. A driver's license or corresponding ID card works fine.
Marriage LawsMarriage Laws: Title 26.04 of the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) defines marriage statutes. Your local library provides the means to research these laws as well. The Administrative Office of the Courts has compiled some useful legal information into a Family Law Handbook.
Chelan County Special CommemorativeMarriage Certificate
Special commemorative Chelan County Centennial marriage certificates are included with each marriage application. They can be purchased separately for $5.00 each and make great anniversary gifts.
Public DisclosureAll marriage applications and certificates are a matter of public record. The Wenatchee World researches public records and publishes information from each marriage license issued. Once a marriage has been recorded it cannot be unrecorded.
Additional Marriage License Information
Absentee Marriage Application Please let us know if your marriage date is less than one month away.
- If it is impossible for one or both parties to appear in person for marriage license application, there is an alternative method enabling absentee application via mail. Please contact the Recording Department at least one month prior to the wedding for details.
- Residency requirement: None, nor is a blood test required (whew!)
- Information about each parent: Each party needs to know their parents' full names and the state in which each parent was born.
- Domestic Partnerships: Washington's Office of the Secretary of State oversees a Domestic Partner Registry. Their website offers the forms and information you will need.
- If divorced, proof of divorce is not required but the divorce must be final