District Court

Restraining Order

A petition for a Restraining Order must be filed in Superior Court, not District Court.

If you are a married person or a person with a child in common with another person and are filing for divorce, legal separation, custody, or a paternity action, you may petition for a Restraining Order. To qualify a person does not need to have experienced assault or threats of violence.

See Restraining Order-Civil Order RCW 26.09

If you have a court order, it is important to remember:

  1. Keep a certified copy of your order with you at all times.
  2. The order is enforceable throughout the State of Washington.
  3. If there is a violation of your court order, call 9-1-1 or your local police. Tell them you have a court order and it is being violated.

Whether or not you have a court order, if you are being harassed, threatened, or assaulted, call 9-1-1, or your local police!!

What do you need to know about Restraining Order

What can a Restraining Order do?

A Restraining Order can:

  • Can do all that an Order for Protection does.
  • May also order child support or
  • Order maintenance income or
  • Assign property to either party or
  • Establish permanent child custody or
  • Establish use of family home.
How is a Restraining Order obtained?

A Restraining Order may be obtained in Superior Court as part of a family law action such as a divorce, legal separation, custody action, or paternity determination.  A request for a temporary restraining order may be filed at the time a civil petition is filed.  If the temporary order is granted by the judge, it will be effective until the hearing regarding the temporary order.  The county prosecutor or attorney general, when involved in paternity actions, may request a restraining order on behalf of the child.

What is the cost?

Contact the Superior Court to determine the current filing fee.  Additional costs may also include copy, service, and attorney's fees.

What happens if the Restraining Order is knowingly violated?

If the restraining order is violated, the violator may be arrested. Possible criminal or contempt charges may result.

Posted: 02/03/2015 11:27 AM
Last Updated: 03/31/2015 09:11 AM

Share This Page...

Chelan County Calendar

Upcoming events and schedules at the county!

  • 22
    May 2019
    07:00 PM - 08:00 PM

    Leavenworth Community Meeting

    Posted by: Chelan County Assessor

    Have questions about your assessed value? Join us to learn moreā€¦

    Chelan County Fire District #3
  • 22
    May 2019
    07:00 PM - 09:00 PM

    Planning Commission Meeting - May 22, 2019

    Posted by: Community Development

    Chelan County Administrative Building
  • 01
    Jun 2019
    08:00 AM - 05:00 PM

    Hombres Motorcycle Club

    Posted by: Chelan County Expo Center

    Chelan County Expo Center
  • 01
    Jun 2019
    08:00 AM - 05:00 PM

    Coyote Offroad Motorcycle Club - River to Ridge

    Posted by: Chelan County Expo Center

    Chelan County Expo Center
  • 01
    Jun 2019
    08:00 AM - 01:00 PM

    4-H & FFA Animal Weigh In

    Posted by: Chelan County Expo Center

    This year there are two dates from which to choose a time to do your demonstration. They are July 16 and August 4. Demonstrations will be scheduled between 6 pm and 9 pm each day. They will be held at the Chelan County Fairgrounds.

    Chelan County Expo Center