Current Job Opportunities
Chelan County Assessor's Office
350 0rondo Ave, Suite 6
Wenatchee, WA 98801
Responsibilities of the Abstractor/GIS Tech include being the first contact member that the public has with the Assessor’s office either by phone or in person. This position collects, reviews, and maintains a wide variety of real property assessment data. The Abstractor/GIS Tech also researches and analyzes documents, and maintains accurate real property records.
Summary of essential job functions
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Working knowledge of CAMA system (PACS) & GIS (Geographic Information System).
- Collect, review, process, and maintain a wide variety of real property assessment data.
- Research and analyze documents for accuracy and completeness.
- Maintain accurate real property records by reviewing legal documents such as deeds, contracts, short plats, subdivisions, plat amendments, boundary line adjustments, surveys, easements, judgments, orders, right-of-way ordinances, and annexations.
- Updates the county parcel layers in the GIS system.
- Provides technical assistance to property owners and taxpayers, attorneys, title companies, surveyors, realtors, fee appraisers, law enforcement, & public utility districts and taxing districts. Must be able to update PACS in a timely manner for ultimate utilization of all users of the Assessor’s records.
- Maintain the real property assessment records in a timely manner utilizing recorded documents, maps, as well as surveys, microfilm, and the GIS (Geographic Information System).
- Produce maps or data sets for taxpayers, public interest groups & taxing districts.
- Verify legal descriptions for proposed land use actions in county & municipalities.
- Ability to speak with & answer questions for the public.
- Revise and maintain taxing district boundaries and tax codes, and coordinate with taxing districts and DOR on District Boundary changes.
- Assist in special programs when appropriate, such as:
- Open space and timber programs
- Senior citizen exemption and deferral programs
- The levy process
- Permit tracking
- Handling destroyed property
- Mobile home tracking
- Provide information and customer assistance at the front desk or telephone, email, or fax in a patient and professional manner.
- Verify property or boundary descriptions for surveys, boundary adjustments, CE’s, short plats, subdivisions, and annexations.
- Must meet all office, RCW, and WAC deadlines when doing assigned work.
- Reconcile Real Estate Excise Tax Affidavits (REET’s) & deeds for real property sales data entry in CAMA System (PACS).
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to multi task and exercise discretionary judgment.
- Thorough knowledge of data entry and county CAMA System (PACS).
- Knowledge of GIS & proficiency to map parcels.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to read and interpret documents, legal descriptions, deeds, trusts, CPA’s (community property agreements), judgments, court documents, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, county handbook, department policies, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to read & interpret the public land survey system & state plane.
- Geographic knowledge of Chelan County and familiarity of surrounding towns/cities.
- Ability to research title and ownership history.
Education and Experience
Associates of Art or Science degree (AA/AS) or better, and two years of working in real estate business, title company, land use and/or related work experience involving public contact, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience to provide the necessary skills, knowledge and abilities to perform the work. Working knowledge of GIS extremely helpful.
Communicate clearly and effectively when speaking, and through written correspondence. Bilingual is desirable.
Must be able to calculate figures and amounts for percent (%) interest in property. Must be able to calculate land area in acres, and square feet, based on complex legal descriptions, divisions, and surveys.
Ability to apply common sense understanding & carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to solve problems and deal with variables. Possess the flexibility to adapt to new and changing situations.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations
Valid Washington State driver’s license.
Work Environment / Physical Demands
Working conditions are indoors in an office setting. Standing or sitting for long period of time may be required behind the front counter. When traveling to training, a car will be provided.
To apply: Please submit Letter of Interest, Resume and Completed Chelan County Application to:
Chelan County Assessor's Office, Attn: Erin Fonville, 350 Orondo Ave, Suite 6, Wenatchee, WA 98801 or email to:
Position is open until filled. First review will be Monday, February 26, 2018.